The Fort Smith Historical Society met on June 22, 2005, at 4 p.m. at the Fort Smith Museum of History. There were 9 members and one visitor present.

Billy Higgins, President, called the meeting to order. The minutes of the May 18th meeting were read by Chloe Lamon, and approved as read.

The purpose of the meeting was to acquaint the board with our new office, and to form sub committees.

Billy said he had reviewed our membership by-laws, and found no provision for removing inactive board members, nor adding new members. J.P. Chancey offered to chair a committee to upgrade by-laws and will have a meeting before July. Chuck Raney and Clara Jane Rubarth will help.

Carole Barger asked for help on the photo contest. She has a list of statues, and needs maps and someone to identify them, and find the locations. Rena Westbrook will take the list and look it up on the Master Sculpture list at the library. She will send the data to Chloe. Jo Tillery will help.

There was a discussion of the need for coordination between different historical organizations. Joe Davis is interested in chairing a Historical Alliance with the Historical Society taking the lead. In the past, Art Martin and Claude Legris got a group together and they called themselves the Historical Alliance, but nothing developed. They were not organized and no officers were elected. South Sebastian County Historical Society has been interested in an alliance. They have been very active in raising money, developing the museum and coordinating other agencies. Billy said he feels that we should cooperate with others and know what is going on. But it is important that we keep our identity. We should remain specialized and concentrate on things we do — publishing the journal, the art contest, etc. We can't do everything.

Chuck asked what we can do to encourage Joe Davis. Maybe putting ourthoughts on paper. Billy will e-mail Joe about getting together to discuss forming an alliance. Rena suggested that each organization put together a format so we can view what each one does. Joe Wasson said each of ten historical organizations list themselves as the 'dominate historicl group in the city'. Joe Wasson said he could provide a list of how the city has subsidized each group — not to be competitive, but to see how money has been distributed.

There was a question about revising our current brochure. We will take that up at our next meeting.

There were updates on the next journal. Artie Berry gave permission to use photos of the Berry, Constantino, and Gearhart families. Mr. Husarik is researching old theaters. Carole is working on data on the Boy Rangers. Ben Boulden has talked with a graphic artist about the Website. A memorial for Joanne Swafford's husband will be placed in the journal.

Dell Nelson has donated a typewriter to the Historical Society.

Art Martin is to have heart surgery.

Jack Arnold has been in St. Edwards Medical Center for three weeks. His condition is deteriorating rapidly.

New Business: A proposal to buy more software will be brought up in July.

The next meeting will be our quarterly meeting on July 20, at 2:00 PM
at the Main LIbrary.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned by the president.

Chloe Lamon, Recording Secretary